At Stormalong we love cider, but we also love food, so we thought why not start an ongoing blog series that combines the two. Each month we will be sharing different recipes that incorporate cider in one way or another. With fall around the corner and football season kicking off, we decided to start with a few tailgate classics because when we think of football season we think of tailgating. Whether hosting a group of friends at home or heading to the game, we put together a few easy recipes to add to your spread and that pair well with cider.
Whiskey and Cider Cocktail
– 2 ounces Mass Appeal
– 1-1.5 ounces whiskey (we used Maker’s Mark)
– 2 ounces ginger ale or ginger beer
Combine all ingredients in a glass with ice, stir and garnish with an apple slice (if you’d like). Enjoy!
Cider Brine Chicken Wings
– 4 cans Mass Appeal
– 1 cup kosher salt
– ½ cup sugar
– 3-4 bay leaves
– 1/4 cup peppercorn
In a large container, combine the Mass Appeal, salt and sugar, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. (TIP: Pour the salt in slowly because it can cause the cider to spill over the top.) Add bay leaves and peppercorns. Transfer to a resealable bag, add the meat and seal the bag, squeezing out as much air as possible. Set aside in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 hours and up to 24 hours. Remove the meat from the brine and grill on medium heat until cooked all the way through.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
– 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
– 1 package cream cheese, softened
– 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (we used Tessemae’s Natural Buffalo Sauce – It’s gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free, sugar free, vegan and Whole30 Certified)
– 1/2 cup ranch dressing (we used Primal Kitchen ranch dressing – It’s gluten-free, soy-free and dairy-free, sugar free, and Whole30 Certified)
– 1/2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
– 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Spoon into an oven safe serving dish. Cook for at least 20 minutes, until piping hot. Serve with chips or veggies.
Orzo Pasta Salad
– 1 box of Orzo
– 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
– 1 clove garlic, diced
– 2 ears of corn
– 4 scallions, cut thinly
– 1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded, and sliced
– 1/2 red onion, very finely chopped
– 1 orange pepper, cut into small pieces
– 10 basil leaves, julienned
– 1 large lemon
– 3 tbsp olive oil
– salt and pepper
– feta cheese
Cook orzo in salted water until soft, drain. Blister the tomatoes in 1 tbsp of olive oil, add garlic at the end. Cook corn in the microwave for 3 minutes before shucking, then take corn off the cob. Prep the rest of the veggies and add to bowl. Juice the lemon, add 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper and pour over the pasta. Mix everything together and adjust seasonings as needed. Add feta and basil just before serving.